Tusla - Ireland's Child & Family Agency

Can I teach my child at home?

Under the Education (Welfare) Act, 2000 you have a right to educate your child outside of school, for example at home.  If you decide to educate your child outside of school, you must register with the Alternative Education Assessment & Registration Services of Tusla, Child and Family Agency.  They will carry out an assessment of the education you provide. As a parent if you wish to receive an application to educate your child outside of a recognised school you can request an application at info@tusla.ie.

Select an option below for further information and support 

How does the Educational Welfare Service work?  

Protecting a child’s right to education 

Who can refer to the Educational Welfare Service? 

What is the role of the parent? 

What should I do if my child is absent from school?  

Can I take my child on holidays during term time? 

What will the school do if my child misses a lot of school? 

How do I enrol my child in School? 

Can I appeal the decision if a school refuses to enrol my child? 

What happens if my family is moving to a new area away from the school? 

What can I do if the school suspends or intends to expel my child? 

What is home tuition? 

Where can I get information about other concerns that are impacting my child’s attendance? 

WEBSITE BY CREATIVE INC & Kooba Web Design Dublin