Early Years Inspectorate Update
Publication of the Child Care Regulations (the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016)
The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, published the Child Care Regulations (the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016)on the 4th May 2016. These Regulations came into effect on a phased basis on the 30th June 2016. The 2016 Regulations provide for pre-school services, that is, those services catering for children under the age of 6 who are not attending primary school. Click here for details.
The National Garda vetting Bureau Act 2012 enacted from the end of April 2015 introduced a number of changes to Garda Vetting procedures which impact persons making application to the Garda vetting Bureau.
This document providers Information to provider’s in respect of the Early Years Inspectorate Garda vetting requirements for Early Years services in accordance with the National Garda vetting Bureau Act 2012 for Early Years Services.
Safety Alert - Cots
Safety alert for all service providers and staff regarding safety precautions required when checking cots.
Early Years Inspectorate Consultative Forum
Early Years Inspectorate Consultative Forum was established in 2015 and provides an opportunity for relevant representatives and stakeholders to contribute to the on-going reform and development of the early years Inspectorate. The terms of reference of the forum, which are available here, include aims & objectives, roles & responsibilities and membership.
Early Years Inspectorate Regulatory Support Forum.
The Early Years Regulatory Support Forum was established in Sept 2017. The Forum acts as a key support network for early years providers. Representatives of the ECEC support organisations who are members of the Forum are briefed by the Early Years Inspectorate on key initiatives and updated on the current policy, practice and protocol decisions of the Early Years Inspectorate. The terms of reference of the forum, which are available here, include aims & objectives, roles & responsibilities and membership.
Development of the Inspectorate
As part of an on-going programme of reform and development, the Inspectorate is a National Early Years Inspectorate since January 27th 2015.
Working within Tusla’s Quality Assurance Directorate, the National Manager (Fiona McDonnell) leads four Inspection and Registration Managers who will manage inspection teams. The inspection teams are divided into four areas, each with an Inspection and Registration Manager. Recruitment of additional Pre-School Inspectors across each region is currently underway.
|Inspection and Registration Managers||Region||ContactDetails|
|Breda Cloney||West||2nd Floor, St Mary's Headquarters, Castlebar, Co Mayo||094 9042515|
|Collette McGlynn||Dublin Mid Leinster||Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter, Dublin 2||01 7718500|
|Deirdre Duffy||Dublin North East||Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter, Dublin 2||01 7718500|
|Patrica Magner||South||2nd Floor South East Wing, St Josephs Hospital, Mulgrave Street||061 461344|
The Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016 require the all early years services in Ireland strive for full compliance across all early years regulations however it is accepted that there are areas that require greater focus and attention. Resulting from this, the Child and Family Agency introduced a revised model of Pre-School Inspection on the 30th June 2016. Since the 30th June 2016 the primary scope of early years inspection is on the areas identified as requiring improvement; Governance, Health, Welfare and Development of the Child and Safety. Information on research which informed this development can be accessed here.
The inspection protocol and process remains unchanged and early years services can anticipate a concentration of focus on the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016. The Inspection Tool and documentation can be downloaded here and all pre-school services are encouraged to review this documentation and evaluate their performance within these thematic areas.
An Fee is payable by a preschool service towards the cost of Early Years Inspection.
Fees payable on application and annually thereafter.
Please note that annual fee is not payable by an early years service in the year of application.
|Full Day Care||€80.00|
|Sessional Care||€40.00 (less than 3.5 hours per day)|
|Temporary preschool service||€80.00|
|Part Time Day Care||€80.00|
Note: Payment of annual fees for 2014 will not be required.
Types of Early Years Services:
Click here to determine the type of service provided.
- Each provider will receive an email detailing the relevant fee and online payment details for their service.
- Correspondence in respect of fee payment will come from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each service will be sent a payment link to make the electronic payment. This will be unique to each service, stating the applicable fee.
- Online payment is the only payment mechanism available and services are asked not to send cheques or other payments to local Tusla office; as these will not be accepted.
- The email will include an Early Years Inspectorate Identifier Number; this will be specific to your service and used in any future correspondence from the Early Years Inspectorate. This number is a separate identifier, and should not be confused with your existing DCYA number. The Early Years Inspectorate Identifier Number should be recorded and retained in a safe place.
- Ensure that the services spam filters permissions are set to allow mail from this address. email@example.com
- All queries, concerns and comments with respect to fee payment should be sent to this address.
- Where you require a member of staff to telephone you, you may log a call by emailing your query to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be responded to in due course. Please note, it will not be possible to respond to direct calls received in relation to fees.
Waiver of Fees.
The Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016 make no provision for exemption of fees for any servcie.