Since the inception of the Education (Welfare) Act, 2000 schools are obliged to report on school attendance.
Poor school attendance needs to be responded to early; otherwise, as research has shown, it can lead to poorer exam results, early school leaving (some children do not transfer from primary to post primary school each year), and poorer life chances for children.
Schools report individual student absences and expulsions by submitting Student Absence Reports four times each year. Schools also report the total number of days lost through absence by submitting an Annual Attendance Report (AAR) at the end of the academic year. Both Reports can be either online via www.schoolreturn.ie or by downloading the documentation and posting to the Educational Welfare Services, Child and Family Agency, Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter, Saint John's Road West, Dublin 8.
Student Absence Reports
Schools are required to submit Student Absence Reports four times each year on those students with serious attendance issues that have been identified during the current academic year i.e. students falling within the following criteria:
- a student has been absent from school for a cumulative total of twenty days or more
- a student's name is to be removed from the school register for any reason
- a student has been suspended for a cumulative total of six or more days
- the school has expelled a student
- a principal is concerned about a student's attendance
Submit online through www.schoolreturn.ie
Download the Student Absenteeism Documentation
Annual Attendance Report (AAR)
Each recognised school in the State is obliged to submit a report to the Educational Welfare Services, Child and Family Agency, on the levels of attendance at the end of each academic year. Schools are required to provide the following data in the AAR:
- Total number of days lost through student absence in the entire school year.
- Total number of students who were absent for 20 days or more during the school year.
- Total number of students expelled in respect of whom all appeal processes have been exhausted or not availed of during the school year.
- Total number of students who were suspended for any number of days during the school year.
- Submit online through Schoolreturn.ie
Download the Annual Attendance Report Documentation
Reporting Student Absenteeism Documentation
You can submit reports for your school either online or by post.
Submit by post:
Download documentation and return to
Educational Welfare Services, Child and Family Agency, Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter, Saint John's Road West, Dublin 8.