Can I foster?
Foster carers are a diverse group of people who come from all walks of life.
Foster carers can be:
- Couples – married, co-habiting, same gender
- Single people – widowed, separated, divorced
- People with disabilities – provided your disability or medical condition does not prevent you from caring for a child
- People with or without children
- People who own their own homes, are in private rented accommodation or local authority housing
- Employed / Unemployed people
- People from different cultures, ethnic or religious backgrounds – having carers from different cultures allows us to match children and young people with suitable families
However in all cases, it is vital that:
- You can provide a stable, nurturing and loving environment for children
- You relate well to and have respect for children
- You do not have a Garda record for violence, offences against children or other serious offences
- You can demonstrate flexibility, openness and patience
- You are willing to attend training courses to support your ongoing learning and skills base.